Mortgage broker says ‘buyer fatigue’ is happening




The Canadian Press

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada for Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (still in the east): 7:30 p.m. Yukon will begin immunizing children ages 12 to 17 on May 31. The government said in a statement that clinics in most communities will be held in schools, while those in Whitehorse can have their photos taken at the Coast High Country Inn Convention Center. They will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and the Territory says that due to limited supply and more stringent handling requirements, the vaccine will only be available for a short time. He indicates that the second doses for 12 to 17 year olds will begin on June 23 and that medical travel will be covered for young people who are not able to make it to the clinic in their community. — 6:35 p.m. British Columbia reports 411 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 140,075 infections. Among the active cases, 360 people are hospitalized and 127 are in intensive care. It also recorded two new deaths, bringing the total number of deaths to 1,650. More than 2.5 million vaccines have been administered, 131,837 being second doses. — 5:35 p.m. Alberta reports 877 new cases of COVID-19 and four new deaths. Dr Deena Hinshaw, the province’s chief medical officer of health, says the number of new cases is dropping but the positivity rate remains high. She says there are 691 people in the hospital, including 187 in intensive care. A total of 2,152 Albertans have now died from COVID-19. — 5:30 p.m. Saskatchewan says it will cut appointments for COVID-19 vaccine to make room for vaccination in schools. The province says it wants to make sure students can be vaccinated before the end of the school year. The Saskatchewan Health Authority says it will begin delivering COVID-19 vaccines to elementary and secondary schools in early June, although no date has been finalized. The province has pledged more than 90,000 vaccines in total for children 12 and older. — 5:25 p.m. Quebec Premier François Legault declares that on May 28, his government will lift the COVID-19 curfew that has been in place in much of the province for more than four months. This measure is part of the government’s plan to gradually reopen, under which restaurant patios can reopen for dinner on May 28. The Prime Minister adds that if 75% of Quebecers over 12 are fully vaccinated by the end more necessary in most public places. Legault will also reopen junior colleges and universities across the province for in-person learning in the fall. — 3:40 p.m. Saskatchewan is today reporting 129 new cases of COVID-19. This is the lowest daily number of new cases reported in the province in two months. Three other people have died, one in the far northeast and two in Saskatoon, and all in their sixties. The province is currently treating 1,825 active cases. The province has reported 142 people to hospital, including 27 in intensive care. As of Monday, 9,467 cases of worrying variants of COVID-19 had been identified in Saskatchewan. Starting Wednesday, the province will allow residents to receive notifications of negative COVID-19 test results on their phones. People who test positive for COVID-19 will always receive a public health call. — 2:05 p.m. Newfoundland and Labrador reports six new cases of COVID-19. Health officials say the six cases are linked to travel or previously identified infections. According to public health, there are now 83 active COVID-19 cases reported in the province, including three linked to a small school in the western part of Newfoundland. As of this afternoon, 47 percent of residents aged 12 and over had received at least one dose of the vaccine. — 2 p.m. New Brunswick health officials have announced the 42nd death from COVID-19 in the province. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jennifer Russell said the 70-year-old resided at the Pavillon Beau-Lieu special care home in Grand Falls and died in the Edmundston hospital. Authorities reported 10 new cases of COVID-19 in the province today – nine in the Fredericton area and one in the Bathurst area. New Brunswickers aged 18 and over can now book to receive their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine. — 1:35 p.m. Manitoba reports 335 new COVID-19 cases and one death. The five-day test positive rate is 13% provincially and 14.4% in Winnipeg. — 1:35 p.m. Nova Scotia is today reporting 90 new cases of COVID-19. Health officials have identified 64 cases in the Halifax area, 17 in the eastern area of ​​the province, seven in the northern area and two in the western area. The province has 1,345 known active cases of COVID-19, with 103 people in hospital, including 25 in intensive care. As of Monday, 436,054 doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered, with 39,561 people receiving their booster injection. — 12:30 p.m. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization confirms that it believes it is safe and effective to offer the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to adolescents. Health Canada cleared Pfizer for children ages 12 to 15 on May 5, after the company completed a clinical trial that found it to be 100% safe and effective in preventing children in this age group from contract COVID-19. NACI’s advice comes after most provinces have already added the age group to their immunization plans. Manitoba began allowing children this age to make appointments this week and Ontario plans to open immunization to those under 18 by the end of the month. Most other provinces are also making efforts to expand to this age group. — 12:20 PM Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he learned weeks ago that the military officer overseeing Canada’s vaccination campaign was under investigation. Trudeau says he did not know the details of the Major General’s investigation. Dany Fortin, who was abruptly removed from his role on Friday with little explanation. The Prime Minister wanted to reassure Canadians that the vaccination campaign, which is now overseen by Brig.-General. Krista Brodie, will not be negatively affected by the departure of Fortin. A source who granted anonymity because she was not authorized to discuss the case publicly told The Canadian Press that the investigation was into an allegation of sexual misconduct, and Fortin’s lawyer has stated that he categorically denies any wrongdoing. Trudeau says his first thought is with the complainant, but that he expects a fair, full and rigorous investigation. — 12:05 p.m. According to Canada’s director of public health, COVID-19 disease activity continues to decline, but parts of the country are experiencing very high infection rates. According to Dr Theresa Tam, over the past seven days, an average of 5,700 cases have been reported per day and 3,600 people have been treated in hospital each day, including more than 1,300 in intensive care. She says an average of 43 deaths have been reported each day. Nonetheless, she says Canada is making steady progress with a 25% decrease in active cases reported since the peak of the third wave in April. — 12 p.m. Innovation Minister François-Philippe Champagne declares that the federal government will invest $ 199 million to help Resilience Biotechnologies increase its manufacturing capacity. The Mississauga-based company will be able to manufacture up to 640 million doses of mRNA vaccines, the technology used in the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. Federal funding represents about half of the total needed to expand and modernize facilities. — 11:55 a.m. The Manitoba government said it issued 70 tickets for COVID-19 public health violations last week. Most were given to individuals for exceeding collection limits outdoors or in private homes. The province says 22 of the tickets were linked to anti-lockdown rallies in early May in Winkler and Winnipeg, in addition to tickets issued the week before after those rallies. — 11:50 a.m. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is receiving 4.5 million doses of vaccine this week, including a shipment from Pfizer-BioNTech that was moved ahead of the holiday weekend. He says it’s the biggest weekly shipment yet and it will help Canada stay on top of the G20 when it comes to daily vaccinations, where he says it has been for more than two weeks. Trudeau also says Canada will receive 9 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in July. This means that between now and at least the end of July, Canada will continue to receive more than two million doses of Pfizer per week. — 11:30 a.m. Prince Edward Island is today reporting two new cases of COVID-19. Health officials say both cases are travel-related and involve a person in their 20s and a person in their 40s. The province has 10 active reported cases of COVID-19. Prince Edward Island has reported a total of 194 infections and no deaths from the virus. — 11:15 a.m. Quebec is today reporting 549 new cases of COVID-19 and nine other deaths attributed to the new coronavirus, including four in the past 24 hours. Health officials said hospitalizations fell from 17 to 484 and 118 people were in intensive care, an increase of two. Officials say 70,122 doses of the vaccine were given in the past 24 hours, for a total of 4,469,055. Health Minister Christian Dubé says 75% of adults in the province have received at least one. dose of vaccine or have an appointment for vaccination. — 10:40 a.m. Ontario reports 1,616 new cases of COVID-19. Health Minister Christine Elliott said 472 of these new cases were in Toronto, 360 in Peel Region and 116 in York Region. The health ministry says more than 109,000 people have received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine since yesterday, for a total of more than 7.2 million. — 10:35 a.m. Nunavut is today reporting six new cases of COVID-19. There are 64 active cases of COVID-19 in Nunavut, 63 in Iqaluit and one in Kinngait. An outbreak was declared in Iqaluit on April 15 and has reached 235 cases to date. Iqaluit remains under strict lockdown with all non-essential businesses, schools and workplaces closed. On Monday, Nunavut’s chief public health officer said the territory had requested enough doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine to immunize the territory’s entire population between the ages of 12 and 17, or about 4,300 people. Two Iqaluit residents with COVID-19 are in an Ottawa hospital. — 10:25 a.m. Ontario has reported 17 new deaths from COVID-19. This brings the death toll in the country to 25,000 people. The first person died of COVID-19 in Canada on March 9, 2020. Canada passed 20,000 deaths at the end of January. — This report by The Canadian Press was first published on May 18, 2021. The Canadian Press